Monday, December 30, 2019

The Lady and the Highwayman - 1989

Oh joy, another movie from the director of A Hazard of Hearts.  This guy, John Hough, directed a horror movie I've wanted to see also, American Gothic.  Also, John Hough appeared earlier in this blog, unbeknownst to me, with the movie The Incubus!

Well that's all well and good, but what does it tell ya about The Lady and the Highwayman?  Well, I can tell you that this is based on writing by Barbara Cartland, the same author as A Hazard of Hearts, and that this feels almost exactly the same.

The Lady and the Highwayman is, from IMDb "Swashbuckling tale of romance, betrayal, jealousy, banditry, murder, and court intrigue set in the 1660s, during the Restoration to the English throne of King Charles II."  I guess.  It basically felt like a Robin Hood-esque fantasy of good versus evil.  Hugh Grant plays Lord Lucius and looks exactly the same.  Michael York and Oliver Reed are wasted in dumb roles where they wear big wigs.

I am in the house right now, so I get wifi, and I thought this was possibly the most interesting thing about the movie.  To quote from wikipedia:
"Caryn James from The New York Times gave the film a negative review, stating that the film "offers just a few meager possibilities for unintentional campy comedy".  Author and film critic Leonard Maltin awarded the film a BOMB, his lowest rating, writing, Populated exclusively by obnoxious characters; even Steiger can't help this one." VideoHound's Golden Movie Retriever, awarded the film their lowest rating, calling it "A stultifying career low for all involved."

The movie is bad.  Honestly, it's just boring, and that comes from me when I wasn't paying attention at all.  Get drunk and tolerate it.  Or just don't watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...