Friday, December 13, 2019

The Train Killer - 1983

Also known as Viadukt.

I put this on because the name, The Train Killer.  I thought this might be a horror movie, and I also figured it might be a suspense or a thriller.  It actually turned out to be a dramatic story, one that I have to say was well done and interesting.  I had a feeling this might have been dubbed, and sure enough it was Hungarian originally.

Szilveszter Matuska is a war veteran and husband in post war Europe.  I think this movie took place in Germany, I wasn't too sure.  Either way we start with a preamble about how Matuska is disgruntled and ready to start derailing trains.  No real explanation is given, as to why, but we watch as he goes out and tries an initial attempt, unbolting some screws from the track.

As his first attempt is unsuccessful, he continues to try and do it, while he goes about his life in general.  He is a put together man, and I admire the way they made him likable instead of a psychopath.  He's charming, outgoing, successful.  And as he tries to derail trains, his smarts eventually figure out how to do it.  Making a train jump the tracks with little to no injuries, and eventually, detonating dynamite on a bridge and killing many people.

The movie is ambiguous in intent.  Matuska is neither a villain nor a hero, and we get an almost opinionless view of his actions.  People around him are horrified, and it also seems the Hungarian government knows what he's doing and approves of it, so around him is motivation, while he himself just claims he wants "to show people".

I wasn't expecting much, but this is honestly pretty compelling in it's storytelling.  We follow Matuska, and we witness the train accidents.  They probably destroyed real trains from the look of it, either way if it's models it looks fantastic.  The characterizations of those around him seem realistic and they're all dynamic people.  Main actor Michael Sarrazin really nailed the role, and several other characters were all well acted.  It was a great movie....  I dunno dude.

Review 500!  It makes sense this one was just a standard ass, "from the boxset" review that went unnoticed by me.  But at least it was a good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...