Monday, December 9, 2019

Savage Journey - 1983

Well, I certainly would not have chosen to watch this.  Twisted Obsession, yeah, I could get behind it maybe.  Some of these others, sure.  Why not.  But a 80's movie about Mormons?  Nah.

I've probably made this clear by now, but I am not a religious man at all.  I don't give a flying fuck about religion, I don't believe in god, and I honestly don't think there's any real evidence Jesus ever existed in the first place.

All that aside, it's interesting to see a story of Mormons that is not about Joseph Smith and his founding of the religion, but rather a journey when the religion was young.  It is about the Mormons going from place to place, facing persecution, facing hatred, and their struggles with this as they progress through maybe 10-15 years.

We follow Joseph Smith's main man Brigham Young as our main character.  Brigham is a farmer turned religious leader, and he talks the talk and walks the walk as he guides the Mormons from somewhere to Illinois, to Utah, and the different obstacles they face at each place. Along the way we are also shown some of what Mormons believe in.

The movie is about what you'd expect.  It's acted decently, it has a nice little story I guess.  Being historical and probably based on religious writing, some of the details are glossed over and we never get a feeling for WHY a lot of these things happen, they just DO happen.  There is no explanation in the movie for why the Mormons are disliked for example, and I assume this movie was possibly made for the Mormons?  Cause I doubt many people who don't know the Mormon history will understand what is happening a lot of the time.

As a casual moviegoer, like I say I don't think this is for me.  But as a movie, it is slow, it has nothing horrible about it, but it certainly isn't good.  I will give it 1.5 stars I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...