Friday, December 20, 2019

Agency - 1980

Agency, for some reason I thought this starred Robert Vaughn.  It didn't. Instead it was Lee Majors and Robert Mitchum.

Agency is the kind of movie that would be on this boxset.  A political intrigue thriller with little politics, intrigue, and very little thrill.  They all exist to be sure and I'm not taking a shit on this movie.  I'm just saying....  its on the boxset, I can't be wrong.

Agency does star Lee Majors as a deep-V plunge-neck wearing, in-over-his-head ad agency writer...or director...or a guy who works there, I guess.  This movie is therefore sort of about Don Draper, a reference I make even though I only watched part of season 1 of Mad Men and then I gave up on that bullshit.

Don Draper uncovers some sort of secret project with the help of his Jewish buddy played by Saul Rubinek.  Saul Rubinek plays himself, a quirky, bizarre Jew dude who helps to uncover the project going on which apparently Draper knows nothing about despite being high up in the company.  Soon enough, Rubinek is dead, and now Draper has to uncover the mystery alone...

Agency was pretty good, actually, and it keeps you interested.  It made me really curious though, because I feel like the evidence against the Agency was very slight.  The evidence of anything bad, I mean.  And has there ever been a movie where the main character suspects foul play or a conspiracy, and then there's NOT one?  The Game, sort of, jumps to mind.  But I mean much more traditional formulaic like this movie.

Not one to watch twice, but it's not as bad as you might guess.   3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...