Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Deathrow Gameshow - 1987

I put on Deathrow Gameshow with the intention that I was not going to watch the whole thing.  Watch the first 20-30 minutes or so, I thought, and get it out of the way.  Save myself some torture later.

However, this is a movie that I also had known the name of because I've ran across it on IMDb and on lists of all sorts before.  I guess it has a bit of a following, because I have heard about it for literally years.
It's sad that I know this cover art so well.

The first thing I noticed about the movie that kept me watching, it is a comedy.  A comedy where, early on in the movie I actually laughed, hard, at a joke they made.  I believe it was some of the fake commercials.  I dunno man, I am a fan of fake commercials. 

From there we get the story of a Robocop-esque future where things are slightly same and slightly different, the differences for a lot of comedic effect.  Humanity has now decided to go full blown into their violent and overbearing ways.  Deaths are now shown on TV, and in fact our main character Chuck runs a TV show where death row inmates take place in competitions where it's either live or die.  Chuck has his life threatened every day, but when gangster Luigi Pappalardo comes after him, his life might actually be in danger.

I was going to watch about 20 minutes, I watched the whole thing.  It wasn't funny the whole way through, but there was some humor, enough to keep me going.  There was also nudity, likable characters, and enough nonsense along the way to make your night stay entertaining.  This would be a good friends hanging out movie, drinky smoky movie, or midnight movie at a theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...