Monday, December 9, 2019

Twisted Obsession - 1989

Okay, so I just finished this movie and there are a few of these that make me really wanna take to the internet.  I want to know if this was a French director, I want to know about financing, and I want to know why and how Jeff Goldblum is in this movie.

I watched Crawl, La Llorona, and then this in a marathon.  Rainy day in Idaho.  Winter is here.

Twisted Obsession stars Jeff Goldblum as a writer who is working on a movie for a new young director.  They have some great script, and Goldblum believes in this kid as the director, but there are naturally issues to arise and complicate our movie.  Among the issues is the directors younger sister, a nubile little thing that likes Goldblum.

This reminds me right away of Shadows in the Storm, because it's the same idea genesis.  Older weird guy getting the hot young girl and she likes him, and thus complication is born into his life.  In this, the girl is all over Goldblum and not just trying to get something from him, at least it seems so, and he's going right along with it.

Primarily, that's it.  It's not until way later the reality of the plot comes into focus, and the last 20 minutes goes a bit off the rails.  It's one of those that saved everything for the very end while it had a meandering, unfocused first hour.  Thanks guys.  Way to do it.

However, it's also a movie that makes you interested, drags you into it, and ideas start zapping through your head.  I thought of some movie ideas while I viewed this, primarily for horror movies, but hey it still counts.

This is certainly lesser known, it probably has it's die hard fans but really this is a strange blip on Goldblums IMDb, surely done because he wanted to do something different and unique.  It doesn't feel Hollywood, I will give it that.  It also doesn't feel like a "good movie" though it surely had good parts.  It feels uneven, it feels a bit predictable, and it even feels unclear at times despite the straight forward plot.

Also, there are parts of this in French, and these Mill Creek boxsets don't have or offer subtitles.  Nice.  I'll just guess what they said.  I don't really care, tbh.  There is also a shot of a shaved vagina in this, and that gets most of the focus when people talk about this online.  It's a split second shot, but it is strange, so I guess we're supposed to talk about it.

It tries, it succeeds sometimes, and surely that is worth around 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...