Monday, December 2, 2019

Laser Mission - 1989

I may have gone a bit crazy when I went off on Reb Brown for all his Vietnam films and various action nonsense. Lotsa bad actors are in action flicks. Case in point Brandon Lee.

I say bad actors, and I mean, I like Brandon Lee. I loved The Crow, I think he's charming, he's definitely good-looking, and he's just likeable somehow. He has charisma. But he is certainly not a good actor. Especially in this piece of shit film.

Laser Mission has all the ingredients of a stupid B action movie from the late 80s. It has Ernest Borgnine, it has Brandon Lee, it has some nameless bland female that he's paired with, it has a ridiculous but amazing title, it has some bad guy with some stupid plot I don't remember, and it has lots and lots and lots of really awful music. Literally the same song played again and again and again at random times throughout the movie.

This movie is exactly the type of thing that would make one realize that action movies can be a pretty lifeless genre when they're bad. They exist entirely on charisma and they exist on something being the It factor. When there is no It factor there is no movie.   It's very hard to describe what that can be, but it can be multiple different things. This movie has none of them.

It's not that bad, it's not going to hurt you, but it's certainly not a good movie and there's a lot of other things that I would rather watch. I've actually seen this movie about three times at different points in my life for some stupid reason. RiffTrax made a riff of this movie, and its generally well-known. Mostly because of Brandon Lee. But really it deserves no more than one and a half star.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...