Friday, December 20, 2019

The Kidnapping of the President - 1980

What a career the always lampooned William Shatner had.  People give this guy such a hard time, and honestly I don't think he's that bad an actor.  He's a bit overacting sometimes, and he certainly looks weird in his mid-older age.  He doesn't look legit at all.

William Shatner stars in this likely made-for-tv thriller.  Hm.  Let's see.  I'm guessing that now.  Remember, I got no internet out here and zero research has been done.  I'm writing this blind.  I'm guessing made for TV much like I'm guessing the year.

Shatner is Conner, a secret service agent and good guy in this political intrigue flick.  The president is your average good guy too, and he gives Conner a hard time in the beginning, and soon enough he's off on a tour throughout Canada, sitting in his convertible and waving to the people.  But in the crowd is a bald dude and woman with other plans.

A guy who looks like Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (when Depp played Hunter S. Thompson) clamps handcuffs onto the president and shows that he's covered in dynamite, and thus, soon enough the president has been kidnapped!  We get to see the complicated plan the bad guy has, and the thus more complicated plan the good guys have to concoct to beat it.

And ya know what, color me jaded, but it ain't bad.  The movie ran for two hours, and I wasn't bored.  The characters are decently written and there's a lot of good turns.  Despite being not super tense, there is still an atmosphere and I got caught up in the storyline.  I was genuinely interested to see it play out.

I'd guess this movie was again made by someone good, and experienced.  This was obviously somewhat budgeted, and I'd seen the president actor in other things as well.  It was a vehicle for Shatner, but he's not dwelled on too much, other people are given a chance at the reigns of this movie.  I dunno, did I like this that much?  I guess.  3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...