Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Lamb - 1985

"Liam Neeson," my boxset boasted on the back, enticing me in.  It was a list of actors present in the monstrosity, and I looked at it with a arched eyebrow.  Piqued curiosity but reservation held, I observed that name among many others.  Actors can be in bad things, thought I.

Liam Neeson did indeed star in Lamb.  Lamb is the story of Michael Lamb, although I don't remember hearing his last name said in the movie at all.  I thought it referred to an innocent lamb, or some biblical bullshit because Neeson plays a priest.

Liam's character Lamb works as a priest at a center for troubled boys.  The boys there are from all ages and all backgrounds, they're bad news, and soon enough 10 year old Owen comes to join them.  Owen is too much for his mother, and she drops him off.  At first it seems like Owen is a real issue.  He smokes, he swears, he lies.  But Lamb takes a liking to him, and soon enough the two begin to bond.

The main issue with this movie is a lack of motivation for Lamb for the events that follow.  Essentially Lamb ends up asking Owen if he'd like to run away from the school with him.  Lamb is experiencing doubt with his convictions and he thinks Owen deserves better than the school, and I get that, but it doesn't explain why Lamb would break the law and take Owen, why Lamb would rob the boys school of a bunch of money to support them, and what Lamb hopes to accomplish.

Soon enough, the law is on their tail, and Lamb begins to realize the gravity of his decision, especially when it turns out Owen has epileptic fits.

This movie was amazingly well acted, very interesting, and really well made.  The pacing is good and the story deep.  It did need some explanation, and I was a bit put off by that, but if you stick with it, it really works.  We witness Lamb getting in way over his head, and his final actions are really gonna sit with you.  Good movies make you wanna read the book, and I'll tell you now that I really want to read this one.

It has flaws, but it still deserves at least 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...