Thursday, January 2, 2020

Fatal Needles, Fatal Fists - 1978

Kung fu break.  I added Fatal Needles Fatal Fists (also known as Fatal Needles versus Fatal Fists) because I wanted to throw a curve ball into this blog.  I also guessed the year and was right.

Meng Hu is a tough cop who accidentally kills someone with his kung fu early in this movie.  He swears off kung fu and becomes a drunk, wasting away his talent and letting everyone degrade him.  But trouble keeps on following him, and soon enough people are terrorizing a girl in front of him and drug pushers are trying to get past him.  Eventually he's pushed past his breaking point.

And it delivers.  It delivers in both the kung fu way and the movie way.  Fatal Needles was both easy to follow and linear as well as being highly entertaining in the action sequences.  The main character Meng is played by Don Wong, who is not a martial artist I know.  The main evil dude is super cool and dangerous, but not overly gimmicky like some movies in the kung fu genre tend to have.

I don't often get in the mood to watch these movies, but when I do I prefer my kung fu movie to be like this.  Still, times it felt a bit sluggish and slow, but overall it was very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...