Saturday, January 11, 2020

Taureg the Desert Warrior - 1982

I knew from the moment I saw this was on the set that I would rewatch it.  And watch it sober this time.

From my memory, I was in a drunken haze last time I saw it, and I dialed it in on Amazon Prime cause it looked kinda cool and maybe mildly interesting.  I don't remember much about that viewing, but I do remember that I felt it was pretty slow, slower than I'd wanted, and I remember that I was confused about the ending.

Rewatching this movie, I wanted this time to like it and at least to understand it.  I dedicated another 100 minutes to it, and...  I walk away the same way.

Mark Harmon stars as the ambiguous and enigmatic Taureg.  Taureg is a master of his code, the code being that of the desert.  He has two guys show up at his desert dwelling early on, and some army men come claiming the men are their charge and he needs to release the men to the army.  Taureg refuses and to hand over the two, and thus they shoot one of them and say they will come back.  Taureg has no choice but to take the other man on a huge desert crossing journey, and that compromises most of the film.

The journey is fraught with adventure, and along the way there are plenty of cool desert scenes, good music, and some action scenes that are good.  The main character is super cool, and sells the movie like fuck.  The camel blood drinking scene I remembered from last time was different, and there is more action than I remembered.  That said...  We get to the end, and again spoiler alert, the guy he was taking care of the entire time is the man he ends up shooting in the end.

I honestly am not sure if this was edited, if I missed something, or if this is just the way the movie is.  Several plot points are missing or unexplained, and several characters are never gotten back to, and it turns a movie that I wanted to watch into something that I just shake my head at and consider lost potential.

Taureg is a movie which I'm sure deserved better, and I'd be willing to bet there is a version of this that is not edited and thus makes some sense.  As it is, it feels halfway decent, so I'll give a halfway decent end review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...