Wednesday, January 8, 2020

The Bell from Hell - 1973

Also known as "The Bell"

I put this on last night, it was on my list of movies to see.  "The List" ladies and gentlemen.  My note for it that I put on the list was "prime 70's fare".

Renaud Verley stars as John, a man who has recently been released from a mental asylum.  He is a charming, attractive young man who goes to live with his aunt and her three daughters, his cousins.  They are also the same ones who originally had him committed, and he is soon enough out for revenge.  Buuuut, given this is prime 70's it's filled with weirdness in between.

And the weirdness is where this movie really shines.  Early on, John is talking to one of his cousins and he is apologizing to her for something.  He says "Maybe I should suffer, maybe I should tear out my eyes."  He then proceeds to do so.  It was a hilarious, random scene, and he was just playing a joke on her, but it's things like this that make me love it.

The acting is great, the effects are really good.  There is a bit of nudity, but it's mostly presented in a minimal way and also with a degree of "saving it" for only certain places.  There's insanity and hijinks and really odd character choices, which makes the movie highly entertaining and makes it fly right by.  I was thoroughly entertained.

I don't remember how I discovered this movie or why I added it to the list, but this makes me glad I did and it develops a curiosity for the other movies on my list.  I really loved this movie, and I don't even know if I mentioned that it had comedy in it.  Funny comedy!  I give it a 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...