Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Reborn - 1981

I am still on the disc I deemed as the "best" and I read the description to Reborn.  Reborn billed itself as a religious thriller of sorts from the description, and I went into it not knowing what to expect.

Reborn stars Dennis Hopper and Michael Moriarty, and I got excited from the onset.  Dennis Hopper is playing the villain, which is always great casting for him.  He is a strange evangelical priest of a congregation and he is also being broadcast across the world on TV. Michael Moriarty is a random guy who I thought was connected to Hopper at first, and I'm still not sure exactly if he was or not.

Anywho, there are fake miracles going on with Dennis Hopper's church, and they're passing them off like they're real.  It so happens that in Italy, a young woman named Mary is beginning to have real life stigmata, and when Hopper hears of this, he books her a first class ticket to come be in his church.  Mary meets and sleeps with Michael Moriarty along the way, and she falls in love with him and brings him along with her.

Reborn is elevated by awesome music, great acting from all involved, a strange mystic atmosphere and good cinematography.  It's a very strange movie to be sure, but everything here is working in the benefit of the atmosphere and it really becomes a different type of experience entirely.

The ending 15 or so minutes did drag a tiny bit, and the end was very odd, but this is legit a 5 star movie that I thoroughly loved.  Very unique.

With internet, research turns up nothing, which I think is not too disappointing.  I'm glad this isn't some hugely known movie with stories and the like attached to it.  There's barely any information on the net about it, nary a review to be found.  The director seems to be somewhat known, people like him, and I'll have to do some research on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...