Sunday, February 18, 2024

Hellbound: Hellraiser II - 1988

 Okay, so this particular look is closed, but I have a ton more sequels after part 4!

Memory is a weird thing.  I thought this movie had a sequence of the main girl from Hellraiser, the final girl and survivor Kirsty, on a thing fog covered cliff with the Chatterer and Pinhead coming at her from the sky...  It did have a cliff, and a guy in the sky, nut no fog and it was not Pinhead.  Who knows the last time I saw this, and I also remember severely disliking it.

From the director of Def-Con 4, Amityville 1992: It's About Time, and Ticks, this dude Tony Randel is basically a blog fave!  

We pick up right where Hellraiser left off, Kirsty has been admitted to a mental unit somewhere, and she is trying to say there's evil out there.  The psychiatrists get ahold of the puzzle box and open it, and now the cenobites are back, as well as Julia from the first movie is reincarnated, with a sex and power starved dude at his whim to provide female bodies for her.  Written by the guy that would go one to create Wishmaster.

This is one that's a bit slower, but still fun.  They don't have the cenobites around as much, and when they are, they're not necessarily doing as much.  There's a lot of Kirsty and near mute Tiffany, and there's a whole lot of reasoning with and bargaining with the cenobites.  So, in this way, there is not as much evil chaotic action violence in this movie, and I didn't have the romp of a good time I had with part 3 and 4.  

In the last 30-40 minutes, it really picks up and a lot of cool shit happens, so I will give it plenty of credit, and they also have a horrible affect of a plastic baby with its mouth sewn shut.  Great stuff, guys.

I give it 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wicked Stepmother / Deadly Illusion - 1989 / 1987

 I had a Larry Cohen double feature just now, for no other reason than they were both free online and I generally like the guy.  Good thing ...