Saturday, February 17, 2024

52 Pick Up - 1986

 I never told y'all about my other Roy Scheider movie!  Well, this was it.

It occurs to me that modern blogs are just podcasts.  And Yes, to answer the question, I have thought about doing this as a podcast.  I want to do something like "No One Else is Talking About This" where I review movies that have basically no presence online.  The problem, virtually everything has a blog, a podcast, a hidden hairy weirdo who is talking about it somewhere in the digital world, and I don't want to hunt that hard.

I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for now, such as watching averagely slow, nothing movies like 52 Pick Up.  Roy Scheider is a rich politician who is having an affair, and one day blackmailers show up to kidnap the mistress and demand payment.  Then they kill the mistress with his gun and dmeand now a lifetime of payments or they'll tip off the cops to her murder.  Rather than give in, he attempts instead to turn the various gangsters against each other, and that's the plot.

Also starring Ann-Margret and Vanity, this movie is a dialogue-filled kind of...uh...thriller I guess.  It's sort of not anything?  It has some elevated aspects, the violence and nudity reveals the decade from which it was born.  But ultimately, it doesn't grip me any particualr way, and it has an hour 45 of Roy boy walking around, talking to people, with a outcome you can see coming.

I liked it enough, I guess, but its a two star affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wicked Stepmother / Deadly Illusion - 1989 / 1987

 I had a Larry Cohen double feature just now, for no other reason than they were both free online and I generally like the guy.  Good thing ...