Thursday, February 15, 2024

Hellraiser: Bloodline -1996

 "I smell the exquisite stench of what you really are" is the quote from this which Velvet Acid Christ stole for their awesome song off Calling Ov The Dead.

Adam Scott and the Polish brothers star in this last theatrical production of the Hellraiser franchise.  Do other people cite the Poish brothers?  They have no lines and they play the cenobite twins in the latter half.  Man am I getting ahead of myself.

This is as close as they would get to Hellraise goes to space.  Because in the first part of the movie, a robot reopens the mystery box and summons the demons aka the cenobites and they're in a spacship.  Cue the flashbacks which reveal how the box was made as well as a random story of trying to close the box.  Adam Scott plays a French evildoer who opens the box and feeds off the demons until they kill him, and the Hellraiser otherwise pursues Merchant, the main character, to open a larger portal from the hell dimension to let more demons through.

Is that confusing?  Well, it makes sense, and the movie isn't one that I would put into the whole category of "what the fuck is going on." In fact, I remember this series as being one that quickly fell off the bandwagon and was a fucking disaster basically, and I was pleasantly surprised at this enty.  It moves quickly, it's entertaining, definitely not scary, but really something to behold.

The movie has a definite so bad it's good feel, as well as having genuinely good effect moments. I enjoyed it overall, cause honestly it doesn't drag, and it's a fun ride. I give it 4 stars. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wicked Stepmother / Deadly Illusion - 1989 / 1987

 I had a Larry Cohen double feature just now, for no other reason than they were both free online and I generally like the guy.  Good thing ...