Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama / A Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell - 1988/1990

 Haven't done a double in a while and these two certainly had some things in common.  First of all, a double 7/10 on the clunk-ometer for these names.  

These are both added to the list at a time in my life where I'm watching things like Dollman and Gingerdead Man and I'm doing it alone, trying to see how much fun these cult movies are when you're flying solo.  These are some of the Full Moon Productions or Troma trashy "fun cult movies" that I discover and add to the list and then as I look over the list now I'm like, there are more of these with Nudist Colony of the Dead and Frankenhooker.  These are going to be a haul.

The truth is, I never got a ton out of watching these solo and I still don't.  The fun to be had is and was always with groups, where you can laugh at the movie together and take rips from the bong and drink Hurricane High Gravity and not touch any girl.  These are the fun things I used to to, and even then, like Hell Comes to Frogtown, which I had in that very experience once or twice, there's a glass ceiling.

You need something well paced is the key to this sort of thing.  Sorority Babes is close.  Is had a monkeys paw "be careful what you wish for" sorta thing as teens wish to be prom queen, to have sex, and for money.  An evil Imp grants these wished, but naturally has it's own agenda.  It has nudity, a medium to good amount of fun factor, and you know, it would be a fun drinky smoky group movie.  I give it a 4.

Nymphoid Barbarian starts with self-aware audacity, introducing the character and declaring "look here audience.  its a fuckin' nymph movie in a dinosaur world, this is going to be a goddamn blast" and the thing with that is, you must deliver when you promise that fun.  So the idea here, is does it work?

Well, you know, not really.  Number one, if the title Nymphoid wasn't there, you wouldn't connect anything sexual with this movie.  Barely nudity, no sex, no shenanigans or jokes.  Barbarian?  I mean, loosely I guess, but honestly not as action oriented or as cool as that sounds.  Dinosaur Hell?  How about sure, dinosaurs are kinda there but generally it's just humans fighting to save on budget for stop motion.  And then the whole thing together, Nymphoid Barbarian in Dinosaur Hell - well no, because that implies we follow the character, which we kinda don't?  She's around... but also largely absent and largely dialogue-less?

It’s the classic bait and switch in what would at best be a 2 star whatever joint but with that switcheroo… no stars. Fuck you too movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin - 1988

 What is the terminology for this type of thing where it is “take the known entity subverted in either a horror or sexual way and capitalize...