Thursday, July 23, 2026

Zontar: The Thing from Venus - 1967

 Larry Buchanan. My first true hated film in the blog, It’s Alive, which I believe had a 15 minute flashback sequence? We return, finally to Larry Buchanan. He was certainly the reason it was on my list  

Buchanan is one of the many zero budget, DIY dudes who just had this completely inept, zero budget filmmaking style that was keen for the MST type stuff, though he was never on MST. They couldn’t get to everything I guess. 

Zontar has a scientist intercept a radio signal that only he can understand. He starts to translate it to others, speaking of an alien called Zontar which will soon be coming to earth and will bring a new way of life to the people. Naturally the others are worried and skeptical, but things are looking more and more like it could be true. 

Could be known as talking: the movie, which was true of Its Alive. Also maybe “Straight Down the Barrel” because that’s how a lot of this cinematography is. Dead on people looking at us and quickly saying their lines with zero emotion in one take. Yeeeepp. 

I dunno man I kinda have a soft spot for it now. Reminds me of like the Ray Dennis Steckler nada bullshit “movies” that I’ve seen, and honestly the dialogue sucks but it’s minimal in scope and that’s something. Then we see the monster and it’s cool, theres absolutely not enough of it but…eh… it’s okay?! 

Look. You either like it or not it’s still not good. By 1967 we were much beyond this 40s feeling monster fare. But I like it. So I’ll give it like 1.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

From Hell it Came - 1957

 Absolutely always something I have been interested in, the offbeat monster movies.  The weird ones, if you will.  A genuine 50s monster mov...