Absolutely always something I have been interested in, the offbeat monster movies. The weird ones, if you will. A genuine 50s monster movie, but where the monster in question is trees? I'm in.
From Hell it Came is one I remember along with like Night of the Lepus and Day of the Triffids. Those offbeat things always catch my eye, and this is also a long stretch since I last reviewed a movie like this.
We start with a scrawl that explains there are these communities with horrifying folklore. Haiti has zombies, this island we're at here has the story of bodies put into trees and inhabiting them, sometimes forcing their will into the trees.... And yeah, that's it ya know Throw in a couple doctors, the gender swap roles of female Terry who doesn't want to get married and male William who does. Can you imagine the comedy of that?! Its 1957, get into the spirit of the thing!
Barely over an hour, these movies are another favorite "type" for me. They're quick, low rent, A to B, generic, and fun. They always have the blandest, most direct and unstylized dialogue, they revolve around like 10 minutes of monster and 60 minutes of "everything else".
These things are almost solely as good as the monster, and this one's a keeper.


No comments:
Post a Comment