Thursday, November 4, 2021

Tusk - 2014

I think I vaguely remember hearing about Kevin Smith directing a horror movie where a guy turned into a walrus when this came out. It'd been a few years since he'd done anything I liked so I didn't care much. Never thought I'd see it.

Tusk was out around a time that horror was pretty bad. I mean, horror goes through long long moments of being pretty awful very regularly. I believe this was only released in some theaters and wasn't much of a success, so I dunno what's with that and all, but Matt is here and wanted to see it, so we rented it.

Tusk stars Justin Long and Haley Joel Osment as podcast stars investigating stories. Justin Long travels to Canada to interview someone and the guy has died so he isn't sure what to do until he finds a bathroom letter written by someone looking to tell the stories he has. When Long gets there, he discovers a old man with many stories, one of which is about a walrus, and as it turns out, the old man wants to turn Long into a walrus.

Yes, this is as odd as it sounds. And yes, it is going for comedy. No, the comedy is not funny. However! The horror elements do work. They're well done and they're not exactly going for realism so in that way it works.

Tusk is not for everyone and in fact probably not for most people. It's deeply uneven, and when Johnny Depp hits the screen as an eccentric French weirdo, it is really hard to watch. The fun is in the horror for me, with some minor laughs and some decent effects. I don't think it's indicative of anything bigger, but Smith may have had better luck with horror than comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...