Friday, November 26, 2021

The Other - 1972

 I picked up The Other, it looked horror/thriller, was from the 70s, and starred Star Trek's Diana Muldaur. Need I have more reasons to watch it?

Twins Niles and Holland are slightly off. Holland is a bad boy, causing problems and is basically evil. Niles is good and has some mental power to link with other people. Unfolding slowly is a story of ambiguous happenings, slow burn psychological scares, and bizarre imagery. 

The previous description makes it sound really good though... And I suppose if you're in the right mood it is, but spoiler warning I was not in the right mood. I fucking struggled to stay awake during The Other. It is SO SLOW!! Geeeeeeez, I'm a slow movie master, and shit was I challenged. 

Eventually some people are injured and die and it's implied it might have been the kids. Eventually there's a reveal about Holland. Eventually you will wonder where the story is going to go. But there's so many other scenes of nothing happening and unrelated nothingness, you'll probably be tuned out much as I was at this point. 

It's definitely not a bad movie at all, even shot creatively and with great child actors. I feel like I should have loved this, like it's required for me to have liked this movie. It checks all the boxes, even creates new boxes and checks those! How can I not like this?! I'm mad at myself. 

But all that being said, it was so slow that I still can't give it more than 3 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...