Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Fangs of the Living Dead - 1969

I laid in bed sick and tired trying to escape into a horror movie, only to have the internet shit out on me. I was trying to watch The Ghost in the Galleon, a later entry Italian horror film by Amando de Ossorio. When it didn't work, I went to the other TV and watched this, not knowing they were the same director. Weird, man.

Also known as Malenka, the Vampire's Niece. Fangs was a much better name.

Anita Ekberg was a well known horror queen and almost a Bond girl. She had a career that went all over the place and she has a lot of entries in the horror genre. She's been on this blog before and countless others I'm sure, as she is quite hot and often nude.

Anita plays Malenka or Sylvia in the English dub. She comes to some giant gothic castle that the locals fear because her uncle lives there. Everyone in town is right about this place, they avoid it for a reason. There's vampires, as we soon discover, and her uncle also speaks of "the Nosferatu". When Sylvia discovers her brother and another woman there are both vampires, she'll have to face her fears and also risk them trying to convince her to become like them.

I wanted cheap Italian schlock with nudity and effects, and of course, I didn't get it. It was 1969, and I should've gotten it. But, I dunno if I was watching a censored version or if Amando was one of those not to "go there" in his films, either way this film had none of that adult-y type stuff. Which leaves you watching...People! Talking! Walking around!

There is a lot of leg and cleavage, so they even tease you. I dunno bro. This wasn't my speed. It was dull, it was empty, it was bland. At the end, there's been so little horror besides the obvious "presence of vampire horror" that I began to wonder, "Is this movie a drama?" I mean really, it's not a fucking horror movie. It is a dramatic movie with horror elements. But shit, replace those fangs with something else and this movie is a straight drama, and a bad one at that.

Fangs is a lifeless, dulled knife that should be scary cuz it's a knife right, but then you grab it and realize it's cardboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...