Friday, November 22, 2019

Shadows in the Storm - 1988

I'm doing something mildly different with these next reviews.  You see, I "moved out to the cabin" finally, and while that might mean nothing to you, to me it means no internet, no distractions, and an 80's boxset we heard once about before and now we get tossed into.

What the fuck is with this title?  Is there a comma here?  See, this is the other part about these next reviews.  No, absolutely zero, internet information.  I can't browse the wikipedia or the imdb about the directors and the actors and such.  I can tell you from my memory that this was Ned Beatty and Mia Sara and Michael Madson.  I can tell you the plot, later.  But I can't tell you why the stupid name makes sense (or doesn't).

Blunt the Fourth Man has a plot we've seen before.  This is the one where the girl strings the clueless guy along with promises of sex and romance while she gets what she needs or wants from him.  In this, Ned Beatty is a blissfully unattractive and unlikable guy named Theo (Thelonius or something) and Mia Sara is the irresistible beauty that he's gonna wrassle with.  Michael Madson is the seemingly unconnected hotel keeper where they meet.

The best part of this movie is the fact we legitimately dislike Thelonius because he's a gross guy, and so when we would normally see Mia Sara as the baddy, instead we see him as a partial baddy this time.  It's quite noticeable really, and I liked the turns therein and I liked the acting.  Ned Beatty may be an ugly motherfucker, but he's a good actor.

The whole thing revolved around her making him believe they killed her husband, and then making him fall in love with her, and eventually extracting money from him.  One question...what if they pulled this on a guy with no money?  From my memory they never really established our fat loner main character had cash...?

Anyways, it strikes all the needed marks and it does what it's supposed to.  I may have even liked it.  In fact, I would say it was legit okay.  I'll give it a good 3.

Note: I watched this under the impression that this was called Blunt the Fourth Man.  It wasn't.  That's the next movie.  I could change the review, and it would make sense to change it.  But, I'm not going to.  Fuck it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...