Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Operation Ganymed - 1977

If I have pretty much limitless time to myself and opportunity I can at least get in some fuckin movie reviews.  I can at least do one thing I know I enjoy.  I can at least watch Operation Ganymed.

Operation Ganymed is from my legendary list of movies I want to see, and it was filed under a section titled "Okay, Seriously".  These are the movies I am actually interested in, not just cause they sound insane or stupid or insanely stupid.  These are the movies which, knowing me, I should like.

German, 70's, starring blog favorite Horst Frank, Jurgen Prochnow and Dieter Laser.  I didn't recognize Horst Frank at all.  This movie is the story of a space expedition that lands on Earth after many years up in space.  The five astronauts on the trip haven't been able to get back in touch with Earth for a little while, and they land in the ocean.  They make their way to shore, all the while unable to reach anyone and seeing no one.  Confused, they begin to make their way towards where a city should be, but still hearing from no one, the isolation is becoming hard to ignore....

I liked this movie.  Lets get this out of the way here.  I liked the strangeness of the way it was shot and edited, I liked the wacky music, I liked the jarring unexplained parts even.  Early on, one of the five astronauts somehow gets separated and then reappears outta nowhere.  I still have no idea what happened there, with that guy, or with his reappearance.  I assume I wasn't paying close enough attention.

This movie has that trademark surreal feel to it, and over the course of the film we are also shown some of what happened on their expedition to Jupiter.  It did not go well, spoiler alert I guess.  The interactions between the astronauts are one of the major focuses of the film, and of course the way they all individually come to terms with their situation, with their own immanent deaths, and with the disappointment and conflict that arises among them.

People tend to give this disfavorable reviews.  You guys, what do you need, honestly?  It's fucking fine.  This movie, honestly, was pretty awesome.  It is well acted, the events pan out in ways I didn't see coming, and the eerie strangeness is enough to keep one interested regardless.  Need I point out the cast again, which was totally in for this 100%?  It was not amazing, not even essential, but it's a great sci fi entry for those who want something a bit darker and obscure.  I give it 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...