Thursday, November 28, 2019

Psycho Sheep of Butte - 2006

Thanksgiving, 2019. I am spending this Thanksgiving in Butte Montana, a place I've never spent Thanksgiving before. My aunt Lucy has lived here for 10 years. And last night, she showed me a local video made here with her friend in a bit role.

Psycho Sheep of Butte is a indie, black and white comedy flick that was surprisingly budgeted decently and has moments of alright acting even. It stars no one and the director has no other credits.

Plot-wise the main character is a taxidermist who is in debt, and on his way to sell a taxidermy aardvark. It begins as a road movie which is his journey to the town where he's going to sell the thing, and along the way he encounters strange characters in strange circumstances. Thrown into that is there are sheep that are killing people, and somehow perhaps connected, a guy in a black robe who is ambiguous in intent.

There are moments of actual comedy in the film, I laughed perhaps a dozen times. It's not as bad as one might think. There's even decent CGI and it's not unwatchable. It is overly long and it got boring at some points. I would think if you're going to make an indie movie it doesn't always have to be 90 minutes?

It did make me wonder what makes a cult film, this has all the ingredients that I could imagine and it certainly has charm. It's kind of a wonder how things like this go completely unnoticed and under the radar, while other things explode. What's the deal with that anyways? I give this a decent two stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...