In my list of stuff to watch I have Night Train with the note “retro looking thriller”. What did I mean by this? Meaning 70s kinda a throwback? Cause boy was that wrong.
This was likely added from me watching horror trailers on YouTube, something I used to do a lot that I really don’t do any more. I don’t think I knew this was an anthology, don’t think I knew it had not one but two bizarre interstitial stories as wrap arounds. And def did not know it RULED.
As said before I do love an anthology. In the start of this one, god and satan are on a train discussing horrifying events. Cut to another train car where an 80s band sings the recurring song “Everybody But You” which is a fine slice of the era when this came out.
Story one involves a hospital patient who has accidentally killed his wife. He is taken to this evil hospital and used by the evil staff there to lure in people who will be killed and used for organ donation. There's these insane moments in this of butchering where they just show torture rooms covered in blood and bodies and it fucking kicks ass, there's also nudity, and its edited in a way where nothing makes sense but not in a bad way. Just feels like a uncontrollable ride.
Segment two is a lurid and disturbing tale of a woman forced into pornography acting. Her film shows at a creepy men's club that I'd literally kill to be invited to, and one of the guys there forms an instant fascination with her. There's something about claymation in a seance scene where this rad insect is there, and I'm pretty sure has nothing to do with the plot. Anyways, the guy tracks her down and eventually it leads to a Edgar Allen Poe-esque badass ending I loved.
Segment three has a Nazi guy as a satanic messenger, with his main interest being a very 70s guy who is publishing his book God Is Dead, about the nonexistence of god. Satan dude is naturally very interested in this, and meanwhile Cameron Mitchell as the old detective guy is involved, mostly by trying to figure out what satan man is up to. Definitely the longest and most linear story.
The first two had bizarre claymation and complete nonsense happening at random times. The third one is more of a story, and you might even want to pay attention. But with the god/satan train sequences and of course "Everybody But You" rockin', you're going to have a blast with this no matter what. I loved it. Especially the first 2/3 of the thing, before what is a small slow down for segment 3. 5 stars though.

No comments:
Post a Comment