Saturday, November 7, 2020

Hands of Steel - 1986

Well, not only am I keeping up with the whole 2 movies off the boxset in one day thing, but I also rewatched a movie previosuly reviewed on this blog, in another Mill Creek boxset! Here is my previous review of Hands of Steel.

I re-read my review, which I have to say was in a lot more detail than I remember writing it. I thought this was one where I completely didn't pay attention, perhaps being out of my mind of weed and beer at the time. I guess I had short attention from being tired, but anyways, I'm just going to touch on a few things I didn't mention in the original review.

Number one, everyone in this movie is likable. That was something I picked up on this time. Daniel Greene, Janet Agren, John Saxon, Geroge Eastman, they're all just doing fantastic work and they play good characters. Pac Querak is a thinly written character to be sure, inspired by the likes of The Terminator obviously, but in that role many actors would fail. Daniel Greene plays him with a brutality which is really suited to the film and makes you take it more seriously.

There's bad stuff too. The middle of this whole movie just lags and slows down. There was a lot of debate in my head about if I change the rating from 3.5 stars to 4. I feel in a lot of ways like this is a 4 star film. However, the whole middle section with endless nothing happening, very drawn out and mostly pointless arm wrestling, and stuff like that does keep the score at a 3.5. I wish this had been higher budget, and these had been real action scenes instead of fucking arm wrestling. I feel like that is 100% because they didn't have enough money for anything better.

Also unforgivable is that the movie has one reveal waiting and obscured. The reveal that Daniel Greene is a cyborg could have been a huge, fun part of the film. Instead we see him win the arm wrestling, cut to his robotic hand open and being worked on. What a stupid, stupid waste of a cool idea. I'm almost talking myself into a 3 star rating, but I did thoroughly enjoy this nonetheless. I'll give it a 3.5, and I'll even say it's worth watching twice- five years apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...