Monday, November 2, 2020

Double Exposure -1982

I've been doing two movies off this boxset every time I put in a disc...so far. If I kept that up I'd finish the set in just 25 days!

I put this movie on, and something about the acting or the style early on I knew I was in for a treat. Main actor Michael Callan is not someone I recognize at all, and is not leading man type, but he's great as a sorta weird enigmatic photographer. The style of the film is apparent immediately as well, great cinematography and music and editing.

The plot unfolds slowly, we follow the main character, photographer Adrian. He's a bit of an oddball, charismatic but strange and offbeat, and he takes pics and takes women to bed without nary a thought about it for the first like 30something minutes until he has a dream where he murders a woman. He goes to his therapist and talks it over, and we don't really know the reality of it until later when we see him killing people and he DOESN'T wake up, meaning it's real?

The film is quite ambiguous for a while even then as he goes on to date a new girl, and he has a weird relationship with his brother, and so on. We see him once begin to cheat on his girlfriend, and while he does so, flashbacks show us her death at his hands. He's looking pretty guilty and the law is hot on his heels.

The movie goes on, and it's really unique and fun in a shitload of ways. The casting is great and has a few known faces to legitimize it. It feels retro and very 70s a lot of the time, walking a thin tightrope of self aware and self deprecating at times.

I knew this one would have a cult following, and it does. It's extremely big online and even got a reissue on dvd recently by Vinegar Syndrome.

A thoroughly entertaining romp, it's a Bonafide 4 star film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...