Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Scandal Sheet - 1985

Didn't have to guess the year on this one, they said it in the movie.  And for some reason, I'm inclined to believe they stated the current year.  I also played this movie on accident.  I meant to play the dog racing drama and for some reason selected this movie anyways.

Burt Lancaster and Frances McDormand join the ranks of known stars on the 80s boxset in this feelingly made-for-TV type drama.  I guess I'll go out on a limb and say possibly made for TV anyways.  (it was!  score 1 for me)

Scandal Sheet is the story of a young, charming writer in New York who so happens to be friends with an actress who is married to a struggling actor named Ben Rowan.  Rowan has been in the news lately for his alcoholic antics, and has since given up alcohol.  When the three of them are all seen together, the local version of US Weekly wines and dines the writer with the intention of putting her on a piece about Rowan.

And this was a solid, fine, decent movie.  It hits all the right dramatic moments, has clarity and simplicity.  Burt Lancaster as the boss of US Weekly brings gravitas and importance to his role.  Frances McDormand plays the wife of Ben Rowan, and yeah....I don't know who played the main character.

I really hoped this was 90 minutes and not longer.  I will say, there is a major plot hole near the end, and there was also the feeling that it could have gone easily another 10, 15, 20 minutes even.  Thankfully no.  This was no Callie and Son.  92 minutes and 3, 3.5 stars even?  I enjoyed this more than a lot of the films on here I'd seen recently, that's for fucking sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...