Friday, February 14, 2020

Portrait of a Showgirl - 1982

I have (maybe, depending on my internet connection later) either finished the boxset or I have one movie left.  I saved this for last because of how the plot sounded.

Plot:  Written down, this sounds so slow and boring.  It says it is about the lives of three showgirls, shown at different points in their careers and in their lives.  As they go through the...weeks or maybe two months, I guess...where they're training for their big Vegas show, we see them interacting with each other, and we see how all that goes.

POAS is the type of thing which sounds on paper extremely boring, but it ain't so bad.  The movie shifts focus between the three of them, although honestly it's mostly about only two.  I have a truly hard time saying what happened with the third girl, or even who the third girl was.  I don't remember names, so here we go.

Girl 1:  Older, married to Tony Curtis, 16 or so years in Vegas, had been a showgirl at some point before I think.  Her story is not a personal growth one really.  She is a bitch and eventually gets a bit nicer, and additionally her financial struggles are a plot point.
Girl 2:  Arguably the main focus and main character.  She is the first girl we see, in her nice new car driving to Vegas escaping her old life.  The movie follows her as her old lover comes back to get her to return to him, and as she dates a charming and genuinely likable medical student she finds in Vegas.

POAS is not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I still fast forwarded the dancing.  Who cares, I mean c'mon.  I'll give this a slightly above average 3 stars.  See!?  I don't even want to give it a 3.5, which is a rating I've given on this set before.  It just is not a 3.5 star movie, it's not my fault.  In comparison to things on the set, the many 0 star hurt films, this is a 4 star movie.  But alone?  As a film?  This is fucking 3 yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...