Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Phenomena - 1985

 You know, when I started this blog now 7 years ago (!) I was starting it in part as an excuse to watch a certain type of film.  I'd always been into the offbeat and unknown, but I had explored it in only certain regions, certain years, and certain genres.  Some of the unexplored were Italian, giallo, grindhouse, and cult.  I got into it and had a brief excursion with Nightmare City and Zombie and a few others, but all in all, I really should be watching more of those types.

I say this because I put on Phenomena last night and I'm like, "Boom!"  Music check acting check pacing check awesome check effects check blood check nudity check fun check, check check check.  It's a fucking wishlist with every single thing crossed off:  you did it, you got it all, you have to- repeat- HAVE TO be happy.

Jennifer Connelly stars, Dario Argento directs this 1980's giallo entry.  It's the end of the era but it's not too late to churn out awesome, and this certainly does that.  We start the movie with an innocent high school girl missing her bus, going on a walk, and getting killed by an unknown assailant.  Than we follow Jennifer Connelly as Jennifer Corvino, daughter of a famous actor who is traveling and staying at a boarding house of all girls.  Donald Pleasence is a Professor of entomology and that's useful because Jennifer has the ability to control insects.  "They like me," she explains.

The movie is extraordinary.  It's got so much going for it.  I want to say more but instead I'll say, I finished this and thought, "what am I doing watching and reviewing shit like the boxsets, shit like SyFy movies?  Watch all of Hitchcock.  Watch all of Argento.  Watch stuff that's actually good."  The essential problem with that?  It's not free online, but hey, we'll figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...