Monday, March 28, 2022

Event Horizon - 1997

 Coming of age movies are similar to childhood movies.  No one ever talks about Adulthood movies.  Why is that?  Cause adulthood lasts longer than those two phases?

It's high school.  Little me is hanging out with my buddy Ben.  Ben understands I'm into horror and as well as The Crow and Dark City we watch Event Horizon.  I predictably love it, and then spend approximately 15 years or so without a rewatch.  Then, I watch it at the "mature" and "informed" age of 35, almost 36.  What are my rewatch experiences?

This movie is terrible! Sam Neill and Lawrence Fishburne star is the sci fi horror movie directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, a space movie from the late 90's with awful CGI and some dodgy-ass plot elements.  

The plot revolves around the discovery of a spaceship which has spent seven years drifting through space.  The spaceship has a black hole powered energy drive which looks awesome in a room full of spikes.  Why there's spikes in a room that potentially has no gravity is anyone's guess, but we chug along as it's revealed the crew of the Event Horizon went insane, and now the insanity spreads to our heroes, Sam Neill especially.  That's basically it.

This movie is so dumb.  I mean, I love it, but it is so so dumb.  Plot holes are agape as the black hole drive goes unexplained, the insanity goes unexplained, the character motivations are unclear, and in general, scary things happen "because".  I remember my ex-wife referred to this movie once as "the movie where Sam Neill plays a hot dog" because of how he looks in the latter half.  This movie is almost so bad it's good, but it's maybe a little bit too bad. 

It'll always hold a place in my heart, but yikes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...