Friday, May 21, 2021

Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers - 1995

Hold on. If this is what this movie is, what are my memories? I'm going to watch the producers cut also because I remember a lot that was not in this movie.

Mostly it's little things towards the end. I remember a almost sex scene with either Michael and Jamie or Michael and new girl. I remember the end being very different really. This ending is wholly unsatisfying. I also remember Michael possibly dying.

Whatever the case we begin H6 with Jamie Lloyd giving birth and Michael is after her and the baby. He wants the baby and he kills Jamie trying to get it. Then we cut to Haddonfield where grown up Tommy Wallace from the first film is awaiting Michael's return while the Strode family moves into the Myers house. Also, somewhere in this young boy Danny is exhibiting signs of evil...for some reason.

It's well known this had studio interference and it's well known there are many problems with this movie. Halloween 6 was produced by the Weinstein bros and it shows. What's slightly odd, as Gourley and Rust point out, was that this was before reboots and they had to honor the storyline, sorta. Made me wonder, what was the first reboot?

The plot is quite literally illiterate. It's hogwash. Something about a baby and a evil kid and the thorn cult. You know what, the thorn cult could have even worked. Except then when Michael finally is in the same room with the thorn cult, he kills them all! So does Michael even know the man in black? Is there any connection between these guys and Michael? Why did they rescue him? What exactly is their plan? Who the fuck knows.

Paul Rudd is Tommy and he's overacting it a bit, Pleasence is checked out and died during production, Jamie is dispatched unceremoniously after being replaced by a different actress, nothing, repeat nothing worked here. It's fun to see all the ideas shooting around and bouncing off each other, but that's about it. 2 stars.


Update 5/25/2021: So I watched the Producers Cut a few days later. Oddly enough, the Producers Cut was the Halloween 6 I grew up with. The bizarre, more cult oriented version must've been the one I was more familiar with because of the strange sexual hijinks in the latter half and the thorn involvement, and the open-endedness of the Michael part which I half remembered.

Halloween 5 and 6 remind me of what I refer to as the "plot episodes" of a TV show. Especially in older serialized TV shows, you'd have the stand-alone episodes, and then you'd have the episodes which would feed into the actual overarching plot of the show. The X-Files and Buffy come to mind, where you'd have monster of the week episodes and then you'd have the plot of the actual show, with Scully's cancer or Buffy's vamp friends. I never particularly liked or cared about the ongoing plot of X-Files, and it feels very similar to these couple movies really, which is to say...

They had no idea what they were doing. They had no idea where this would go, they had no idea what the payoff would be. Their job was singular, season to season or movie to movie. Their job was to answer 1-2 questions, keep it interesting, and ask some new ones. They were touch-and-go, and this movie asks a whole swath of new questions. Gourley and Rust ask some really relevant questions, such as mainly, what would Halloween 7 have looked like if it had actually followed up on these questions instead of rebooting it with H20. Also, side note, I'm really wondering, is Halloween H20 the first true modern reboot? I can't seem to find any really definitive answer on what the first reboot was.

Halloween 6 Producers Cut also spends more time with Jamie Lloyd, and with Donald Pleasence. They didn't kill of Pleasence, and I think it's for sure part of the reason that the series was rebooted instead of sequeled, given his death and all. I think the questions and the answers are interesting, but they also take away from the Myers character a bit and have the thorn cult and the mysticism ramped up a lot.
I also think I was too hard on the first review, and I'm raising it from 1 star to 2. The Producers Cut I will give the exact same rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...