Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Cutthroat Island - 1995

My buddy and I were texting about Renny Harlin recently and we decided to watch some of his works. He wasn't going to revisit this one, I immediately opted to rewatch it. I was a little buzzed and I put it on last night.

Cutthroat Island was infamous for being a overbudgeted, massive box office bomb that helped put production company Carolco out of business and stalled the pirate genre in full until Pirates of the Caribbean came out. Watching it now, I really didn't remember anything except one small part from the very beginning. It's possible I haven't seen this since 1996.

Matthew Modine and Geena Davis star in this swashbucker adventure, and it's....it's whatever. First of all, I was going into this expecting it to be so bad it's good, or maybe just good. Instead, it's extremely middle of the road. All the pieces work, and it's what you expect it to be, but it's all also exactly what you expect and nothing stands out. The sets are great, Frank Langella as the bad guy elevates it, but overall absolutely nothing is really worth mentioning and the movie just sorta "goes".

Being 2 hours, this is way too long, and I got tired of it a few times. It doesn't drag but it's also not a thrillride, and it's a movie that got decent to middling reviews, most of which say exactly what I am saying. It's thoroughly unremarkable. Which is to say, it is unclear why it would be such a massive failure, exactly, but it also wasn't a great success.

Oh well huh. I give it a 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...