Friday, April 9, 2021

Windwalker - 1981

Childhood movies, as I've discussed before, are quite strange. I remember this movie from being like age 8, 9, 10, whatever. I saw this multiple times, and like much of our VHS I don't think I saw it much after we moved into town when I was 14.

Windwalker is indicative of the type of movies I've been raised with. It's weird, imaginative, offbeat and obscure. Windwalker is fairly unknown, but has real actors and directed by a real guy. Watching it again though, it is still really very odd. There's little information on it online, I didn't see many reviews for it online or much information on Wikipedia.

Windwalker is a Native American film, sort of two stories. It is the story of a old man reflecting on his life, told in flashbacks, and showing him as he met his wife, had twins, and lost one of them in a raid by a rival Indian group. The Crow steal his son and he searched for the boy to no avail. In modern day, the story is about the old man and his conflict with the Crow, and the ensuing results of that fight.

Here's what I'll say: the acting is fine, the story is interesting, but overall it's kind of weird and dull. The direction is a bit lacking, full of uninspired camera work. But it is a "good" film, saved by magical bizarre elements, given backbone by their relation to the Native American stories. The Native American element is cool, but most actors in this were white men without any makeup or anything. In modern day, I doubt you'd see a Native American story written, directed, and starring white men. Oh well.

Not sure how to rate this. It will always mean something to me, but I don't really know what. I'll give it 3.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...