Friday, April 2, 2021

Carrie - 1976

I didn't realize watching Carrie would carry on my still-going marathon of movies from 1976. Hey dog, the marathon is going until 2026 so buckle the fuck up.

Carrie I rewatched because I've been watching Brian De Palma films lately. Spoilers. I remembered three or so things from Carrie. 1, I remembered that as a young adult/teenager when I saw this that it had some nice nudity in it. It does, hot breasts in the beginning. 2, I remembered the blood soaked chaos in the end finale. One of the most powerful moments in film history? We'll get there in the review. 3, I remembered the cool ending with the hand coming out of the grave.

I was thinking about how in many ways, I think the hand coming out at the end of this film really inspired Friday the 13th. The ending of Jason coming out of the lake is virtually exactly the same thing, something really creepy and crazy that happens out of nowhere and then is shrugged off as a dream, except WAS IT?! By the way, did you know Carrie had 3 sequels? I know I have seen The Rage: Carrie 2, but I didn't ever hear of the third one that came out that hinted at a TV show based on Carrie that never happened!

Carrie is a high school girl who is mocked by basically all her peers. She's a weirdo, and in the opening scene she begins menstruating in the womens shower after PE class. Mark that down as another thing I remembered about this film. The teachers are concerned that Carrie didn't know this was going to happen, but the reason why is soon apparent. Carrie's mom is a religion obsessed nutcase, spouting off about the evils of virtually everything, and punishing Carrie by locking her in the closet to repent. Early on we also begin to see Carrie manifesting a strange power, a telekinesis which usually takes the form of moving something small, but as the film goes on gets stronger. Soon enough, some bullies get punished for being mean to Carrie, and plan to get back at her. They get one of their friends to invite Carrie to the prom, and things begin to erupt.

I mean, first of all, the build is really good, and it lasts exactly the right length. There is a lot to the first hour of the film, and it's also well paced and acted with Nancy Allen, John Travolta, Sissy Spacek, PJ Soles, Sydney Lassick, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, et all, they're all turning in some grade A material in here. The film feels effortless, and I was shocked because it also doesn't jampack the ending. We are at the prom around the hour mark, with all the events there being given a shitload of time. The prom scene barely needs talking about. It's epic, I didn't overexaggerate earlier when I said, this might be one of the best, strongest, best acted, and creepiest sequences in all horror films. It's fucking iconic, and so well done.

This movie is awesome! I feel like for some reason it's not said in the same breath with a lot of classic horror, but then again, it's not like this is underrated. It's quite good! Hugely successful too. I'll give it 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...