Friday, April 2, 2021

Blood City - 1977

Also known as "Welcome to Blood City".

Why did I rewatch this? I can't say very easily and concisely. I was browsing in the library and I saw this on a duo DVD pack with a movie called And God Said to Cain with Klaus Kinski. I wanted to see Blood City again because I remembered it being good, or at least odd and different. I wanted to see the Klaus Kinski movie, because obviously I did.

Rewatching Blood City, I first noticed that I didn't remember much of it at all. I guess this was on the Sci Fi Invasion boxset, and I mis-remembered that boxset as having only been a few years ago. Theo, you've been writing this reviews blog for 7 years now. Get a life. Do something else, please, will you?

Keir Dullea wakes up on a beach with some strangers and none of them have any memory. They have cards in their pockets that identify them as criminals. They wander to a little city where there is a sort of law system in place, and loosely they can advance through this society by killing people. Keir makes headway and appears to be able to hang, while in the meantime lawman and "immortal guy" Jack Palance is sort of helping him out. Then, we have the behind the scenes thing I talked about in my previous review. These couple people who are watching and observing him, and clearly using him as some sort of experiment.

I remembered the Cabin in the Woods aspect, the sciency control experiment thing being a bigger plot line than it was. In essence, they make it clear this is some sort of Matrix-like world wherein Keir is not actually in the town, he is there in the building jacked into some device which simulates the reality. However, they are not as involved as the Cabin people. Also, there is no real pay off to this storyline, just a cool idea which sort of fizzles.

This was not a great rewatch. The movie is really quite dull with a slow plodding atmosphere, and it seems nothing has any real consequence, or as I just demonstrated, payoff. In short, you finish the movie and just kinds sit there, "huh". I watched it in a void created by the sci fi boxset, and now that the void is gone, I see this for what it is.

I'll give the rewatch 3 stars still, just a bit worse than last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...