Monday, April 12, 2021

Alien Versus Predator: Requiem - 2007

Fuck it. I dunno. Looking for something to do while I'm in the house. This would not have normally gotten a review.

Alien v Predator was actually pretty good, surprising everyone especially me. AVP:R was another movie I saw in the theater. I don't remember bro, I guess it was like, the year after I quit my first job and I likely had a friend in the theater trade still who got me free tickets.

AVPR brings back nobody but picks up exactly where AVP left off. We have the Alien bust out of the Predator and it took on some of the Predator traits, then the ship goes spiraling back towards earth and that PredAlien is let loose on a small city in Colorado. The town has some young 20-something heart throbs involved in a romantic triangle and our steamy blonde hero Jimmy or whatever his name is has the hots for the girl, but she is involved with the asshole character, and blah blah you get it, who cares. The Predators dispatch a dude to come to Earth and hunt the PredAlien, so that's the real fucking plot.

I didn't really like it then, I don't really like it now. Lemme say first off, you can tell the directors came from music videos. I was thinking about this idea of hiring music video directors to direct specifically horror or sci fi films, and some of them of course branch out into film and succeed massively. Others, though, fail. The Brothers Strause, as they credit themselves, failed big time.

I feel like I don't even need to detail their dumbass film. No, it's not that bad. On a technical aspect, in the effects way, in the ability to follow the plot, it succeeds. And the problems are not the directors fault either. This was written to be a second, third, fourth rate sci fi schlockfest. There's no focus on any real human characters, the PredAlien disappears, the first half the movie largely is humans wandering around a forest or a sewer "looking for things". Then it immediately shifts into action, and there's some cool moments again, but largely you can really tell they were just trying to do too many things at once.

I knew at the time I saw this in theaters that the AVP idea was dead, I knew there would be no sequel. It really only took 5 years for a sequel, albeit to Alien and not AVP. Prometheus and Covenant will likely not get reviewed by me on this blog, but hell, give it one more night where I need to kill time in the house and maybe it'll happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resurrection - 1999

 Let's keep this streak going as long as we can huh?  Loving these dumb 90s-00s thriller horror mystery movies. Resurrection is directed...