Thursday, February 14, 2019

The Cop in Blue Jeans - 1976

I need to double check, but I think I have only one movie left.  I am mostly sure.  I'm like 78% sure, but I'll tell you, here's a dilemma:  do I rewatch Werewolf in Washington?  I remember it decently, unlike when I rewatched War of the Robots. Cause if I rewatch it, that means I have two movies left.  Arg. I haven't decided yet, maybe I'll do what I did with Cop in Blue Jeans here and just watch it work, gettin paid by the man to watch shit.  Like a true OG.

I just was on the Wikipedia for this movie, which is a tiny snub and identifies this as another Poliziotteschi Italian film, which is to say police / crime movie.  However, this fucking surprised me:  This movie was highly successful in Italy and had not one not two but fucking 11 sequels!  Are you kidding me?  Nope.  I double checked on IMDb, and 10 sequels and one spin off were made, all 10 sequels had the same actor Tomas Milian as Nico Giraldi.  Wow.  Most successful film I've reviewed on this blog in terms of sequels?  Perhaps.

Cop in Blue Jeans has Tomas Milian as undercover cop Nico, busting criminals all over Italy.  He rides a motorcycle and takes chances, he's rough and ready to rumble, and realizes there's a bigger organization at work.  5 million dollars gets stolen from a mob boss, the mob beats one of the thieves to death, and Nico tracks the other members of the mob gang to find out "wot's uh the deal." It all leads to Jack Palance (naturally) making his third appearance on the set, as Normal Shelley, mob boss and protected US embassy working man-in-charge.

It's all well and good.  It's exactly what you expect.  For the time, I guess it was very likable.  Why?  Good god I don't know.  The whole genre as I gather was a big success in Italy, and they loved the tough cop with a heart of gold character who plays by his own rules...type thingy...  Jack Palance lends some credibility to the thing and even only being in like a fifth of the whole movie, makes for a cool evil boss of course.  The rest of the cast is fine and nothing much unexpected happens.

Despite my earlier Pink Floyd reference, no good music is to be had except the incessant theme that plays endlessly, and does worm itself into your head.  Much things are to be had in this, and what that means, I don't know.  This review is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...