Tuesday, February 12, 2019

The Four Deuces - 1975

I'm not doing well with the whole "remembering to review the movie I saw" thing here.  I watched this action comedy like last week, I think it was Wednesday?  I don't fucking remember.  This movie was pretty shitty, and actually this was the second time I saw it.  First time I'd put it on in the background while I did other things, and you know what??  SAME with this time.  It counts.  Fuck it.

Jack Palance leads a cast who have been in things, but they're all things I don't know very well.  He's the evil bad guy obviously, and in charge of a "pack of cards" which is I guess his criminal ring.  The four deuces are his trump cards, or top men, and you know, it doesn't matter.  It's a crime caper, and a weird one at that.

They chose to try their hand at infusing this one with comedy and a "style" of it's own.  It has weird animated comic-book type panels complete with sometimes drawing out a scene and then having it start.  It waffles intensely between going for half laughs and being a straight crime with some decently done dark edges, but all in all this all falls apart because of the ensuing uneven tone one is left with.  The movie felt instead like it didn't know what it was going for, and thus never becomes anything at all.

The end scene where it all goes to a gun battle is about as lackluster as anything else, there's a few car crashes and such to be sure, but it's too little too late at that point.  It is exactly what I assumed it to be from the get go.  This is for sure one to put on in the background as you do something else and only look up with hopes of nudity or weirdness (not enough of either to warrant ever looking up).

It's not quite worth a zero star, the attempt at style and occasional good acting gives it a star.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...