Wednesday, February 13, 2019

The Beast of the Yellow Night - 1971

Ah, the Philippians.  A place.  Is that all I have to say about it?  Yeah, I think it is.  I'm not super well versed with Filipino movies.  I'm also not well versed in how to spell the different versions of these things, as I got the ol' red squiggly under both of my original spellings.

The best known Filipino movies to me are the Weng Weng classic affairs, and shit that Cirio H. Santiago was pumping out, and Corman's filming he did there, and things like Apocalypse Now filming there...and hang on, maybe I am a bit versed with the Filipino film market.  About as much as anywhere else.  But, one difference, I haven't seen a lot of these.  I think I've seen about 3-4 Santiago films, and I've seen a bit of the Corman ones.

This film was a Corman produced, Eddie Romero directed horror thriller made to capitalize on the werewolf idea, and starring almost 100% American actors.  They were making these with the ideas of producing them somewhere extremely cheap and them marketing them in the US, as was often the way to do it back then.

This one finds American Joseph Langdon getting a curse from the devil early on where he will become a hairy werewolf type beast.  Right away there's issues as he seems to vary between having control of this power and not having control of it, it's not a full moon type affair as it is classically depicted in werewolf films.  I say werewolf, but it's not that.  It's the title, it's beast of the yellow night, and it looks kinda shitty:
It goes about how you'd expect, and eventually the beast here finds friendship in a shady blind old man.  It all comes to a head when he's finally captured by the army along with the blind man, and they begin to march them towards probably death.  The end sequence, about the last 20 minutes was surprisingly solid upon reflection, actually.

I get the feeling now and a little bit then, that this was a film I'd actually seen before.  It has a familiar feeling to it.  And at under 90 minutes it's not going to hold you hostage for any large amount of time, and you might as well see it.  After all, it's about a 3.5 star movie.  It does look later that 1971 too, I was going to guess 1978.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...