Monday, October 22, 2018

The Borrowers - 1973

The Borrowers is a franchise much like Heidi, another film on the treasured 70's boxset.  Heidi, it turns out, has more adaptations of it and shit, but this is a somewhat well known of idea here, the little people living underneath the floorboards in a house.

This boxset has taken me all over the fucking place, and here's yet another random thing I'd never volunteer to see but I'm watching anyways, as the completionist I'm trying to be.  This film does have the "originality" thing going for it, as it was the first adaptation of the novel, and even won an Emmy for outstanding achievement of a kid's movie.

Ma and Pa and daughter Arrietty are about 5 inches tall, and live under the floorboards of a house out in the middle of nowhere.  Their existence is a simple one, they "borrow" whatever they need from the residence they live under, and pretty much chill, raising their daughter.  In the house they live in is an old woman, Sophie.  One day her nephew comes to visit, a young boy.  The boy eventually spots Arrietty, and that could mean trouble for their peaceful existence.

Obviously, this is going for the effects. The whole film has a lot of the older style effect to make people look small.  Using rear and front projection, as well as occasional cutting out of one piece of film and putting over another, they manage to make it look passable.  The whole thing features quite a bit of effect, and it would be fair to say it looks decent.  It had to, I mean it's the one thing they had to make look good in the movie.

I won't say I loved this.  It's not really my speed.  Despite the fact it's technically "done well" and nothing is "wrong" with it, it's just sort of there for the most part, and it's not particularly engaging.  A cool idea.  I'd still see the Japanese anime Arrietty, if I ever get around to it.  I guess I'll give it a 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...