Monday, October 29, 2018

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare - 1991

Alright.  I went from about 2 purchases on my Amazon account, ever, to fucking 4 more with this series.  But they were $1 each, so it's pretty well worth it.  I mean, come on.  And thus I finish the Nightmare on Elm Street entire series of films.

Freddy's Dead.  Are they giving you a spoiler?  Or is it not a spoiler because Freddy has been "dead" for the entire series, hence why he is coming in people's dreams?  I'm not sure about the idea here, but I'm taking it as a spoiler and spoiler warning, Freddy dies in this movie.  Supposedly, forever.  And if we think about it, the next film New Nightmare didn't exactly bring him back in a traditional way.  It was kind of an "idea" of Freddy.  Is Freddy vs Jason canon?  Ah, fuck this argument.  You get it.

Wikipedia tells me " Peter Jackson also wrote a screenplay, but it was not used; his screenplay was about how Freddy had become seen as such of a low threat that teenagers were now taking sleeping pills just so they could mess with him."  Holy shit this is a great idea!  It's meta, it's brilliant.  I'm sure they didn't use it cause it's "making fun of / laughing at" the franchise.  But come ON!

This movie was not a good entry to the series.  What you have is a extremely bland 90's horror comedy, but with neither horror or comedy that is fun.  It's all extremely low brow, it feels been there done that, and the worst thing is that it feels like it's not even trying.  First of all, there's not a lot of deaths in the film.  The deaths are also sort of dumb, the first one is this incredibly long thing with a deaf kid that Freddy tortures with extreme sound.  Neat idea, but way too long, and in the end it goes for comedy?  With having the guys head explode?  WHAT?

Basically there's a group of kids who go to this small town of Springwood.  There are no kids there, the last one having escaped.  The last kid gets mixed up with some kids...ugh I don't remember.  They all go back to fucking Springwood, where overacting and pathetic comedy runs rampant.  Meanwhile, this girl Maggie discovers she is actually the daughter of Freddy, and he won't kill her.  So they try to use this to their advantage.

At one point, some doctor played by Yaphet Kotto casually says, "I can control my dreams."  At another Breckin Meyer randomly says "I can pull you into my dream" and I'm just like WHAT?  These are powers that earlier in the franchise are made entire movies out of.  You can't just randomly have your no one characters have huge franchise-defining powers at the drop of a hat.  And they just randomly know they have those powers as well?!  Ugh.

Even the makeup sucked.  They went from gruesome and disgusting in 3-4 to like just-sort-of weird red in this one.  I mean at some point the franchise had to take a down turn I guess, and I suppose by entry 6 we were overdue.  So this leads to my series overall view which is:  pretty great! Honestly:
1. Classic movie, great scares, great effects, great actors, hugely entertaining.
2. Good follow up, solid, some classic scenes, and established a bit of a lore.
3. Solid film, felt like they actually cared, good effects, kills, and a good idea.
4. They were starting to really have good ideas about how to "fight" Freddy, a truly brilliant way to turn the franchise.  A bit of the "beginning of the end" here as it gets a bit more cheesy and 80's feel.
5. Still good, but a bit more fluff and feels like they aren't sure what to do next in the story.
6. Just pure shit.
7.  Interesting, witty, clever commentary, but yeah not like a true Freddy movie per-say.
Freddy vs. Jason:  again, interesting, but is this even canon?  Or was it just a random (albeit well done) cash grab and fan service?
The series overall can have 4 stars.  This entry can have 1.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...