Friday, October 26, 2018

Concrete Cowboys - 1975

I'm just fucking plunging through these movies right now aren't I?  This month may have the most reviews of any month since the first couple years of this blog!  I should really be capitalizing on this feeling of inspiration by writing something that actually means something...

Concrete Cowboys starts off as a bad western, but I see Tom Selleck there and he's attractive and charming, and I gave it a chance, and soon I got to like this movie.  Tom Selleck plays Will, and he and his friend JD get caught in a bad card game.  They run away, hop a train and head out, unsure of where they're going, seeing where life takes them.

This was the pilot to a TV show that didn't get picked up.  Conceivably, Will and JD would go from place to place, becoming entangled in some story line, fixing it, then getting on their merry little way to whatever was next.  This installment goes exactly in this way, but that's not to say it's unenjoyable or predictable.  Okay, I take that back.  It is a bit predictable.

Will and JD end up staying at a friends apartment when they stop off in Nashville TN. Their friend is a private investigator, and he has them pick up a package for him while he's out of town.  The package gets some baddies on their tail, and also since they're at a private investigators home, some lady comes by looking to hire the investigator.  They're about to turn her away when she gives them a $1000 deposit to locate a missing singer.

The first half of this movie is pretty quick with all the setup.  There's some light comedy, there's some decent acting, they try real hard to keep that primetime audience that might watch the show.  But, it does fall victim to a bit of the "too much" of everything.  Too much twisted plots, too many characters to keep track of, and too much of a complicated idea.

I did like this though, and in the end it's innocent enough.  I could see a show like this being popular in the 70's.  It's pretty much fine as it is now, except that it didn't work out, and instead got adapted to this TV movie.  It's fine.  Meh.

I give this a 2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...