Tuesday, October 23, 2018

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master - 1988

I was gonna skip this review two days in a row, but I did promise it in last my review of Nightmare 3.  So I will compromise and do a short review.

Nightmare 4 took the crown of "most successful" of the Nightmare franchise, but also for me wins the prize of "worst one so far" which would explain why Nightmare 5 was hugely reduced in profits at the box office.

Nightmare 4 has Lisa Wilcox emerging as a girl with ambiguous dream powers.  She meets up with Kristen Parker, who is the character from Nightmare 3, except it's not Patricia Arquette playing her anymore.  Also returning from Nightmare 3 is Kincaid and Joey, who are pretty quickly killed off in this one.  Anyways, Lisa Wilcox and Kristen are going to try to use Lisa's powers to perhaps beat Freddy in the dream realm, and that's pretty much the plot.

I'm not going to have the easiest time trying to describe why this one wasn't as good in my book.  Perhaps it's number one because of the beginning:  different actress playing a part, and quickly killing off the other characters in, quite literally, a shared death!  Then the ambiguity of the powers, and the fact that it takes up until the very final showdown for her powers to truly emerge.  Then the death of Freddy is....well, lame really.

I don't particularly remember much about this installment, even though I watched it right after Nightmare 3.  I'm gonna watch Freddy's Dead:  The Final Nightmare soon, and call it a day.  I have of course seen 1 and 2, I've seen Freddy Versus Jason, and I have no intention of seeing the recent remake.  That just about rounds up this series!  Pretty good, I'd say.  I'll recap it more in Nightmare 6.  This one, hm.  2.5 stars I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Petrified Forest - 1936

 FUCK! I guessed one year off.  I'm going back to Bogie. We just don't have actors like him anymore. To jump into that,  I'd say...