I could have mentioned at one point that my gf is into Audrey Hepburn. I don't super remember. Either way, we were looking for a whatever movie to put on, in one of these long tired days after a sleepless night, and we opted for this Audrey movie.
Apparently a movie set that was fraught with production troubles, this movie was caught between the studio that wanted something commercial and the director and writer that wanted something with a message. It seemed neither got their way.
What this is, rather, is a long convoluted race-related movie about a found Indian girl, played by Audrey, who is caught in a bit of a love triangle while she lives on dangerous Native American troubled lands. She has the hots for her adopted brother Burt Lancaster, who is also much older, and a kid her own age wants to be with her almost as much as he wants to go to Wichita, which I think is about his only want in the movie.
At first you think its about forging this unsteady relationship with the Natives, led by John Saxon in brown face. Then you think its about the love triangle, then it shifts to a bizarre almost surreal story as a mystical cowboy guys enters, then it's a love triangle again, then a Native story... and that sorta keeps up in this two hour movie where you feel just about every minute of that.
Once the Natives kill one of the white people, some whites turn on Audrey and yell some things at her they'll probably regret later. This all culminates in a big fight scene at the end, Natives vs. whitey, and that sequence is good, but hooooo boy. What a chore this is.
I wanted to give it a star because it's like...you know shot fine, it's not a messy inept schlockfest or anything. I wanted to like this a fair bit, honestly, and I just didn't. There's very few redeeming factors, but even the big fight scene feels telegraphed and you know what will happen. And in the end Audrey gets with her brother?! What is this, fuckin' Pornhub? I give this a zero.

No comments:
Post a Comment