Friday, December 16, 2022

The Day the Sky Exploded - 1958

 This Nightmare Worlds boxset had a classic black and white sci fi movie on it I had thought about seeing several times?  What luck!

I had heard of and looked for The Day the Sky Exploded, I'm particularly remembering one time somewhere between 2-4 years ago I remember typing it into Google and being astonished it was nowhere for free except YouTube.  Guy, I am not going to usually choose to watch something on YouTube, unless the exact right conditions exist.  

This is a pretty much straight down the barrel standard example of a 50s sci fi leaning thriller.  It does have a bit less on the effects side than some, but it also has the character parts and the it has enough going on to qualify.

Early in the film, an astronaut who just launched off to the moon is having difficulty, and coming back to Earth.  The astonaut John launches his warheads as a way to get rid of some of the weight on his ship, and those warheads blow up a moving comet or something, which then sends thousands of asteroids hurtling towards Earth.  Now, its looking like humanity is going to have to think hard and fast about how to avoid a fiery death.

Sky Exploded is not a bad film, it's just a bit "whatever".  The standards of the dramatic characters, as well as most of the movie happening through dialogue is expected, so I can't mark it down too much there.  I think what it comes down to is the payoff doesn't happen so much, and maybe I had very high expectations.  It's not like this is a collossal failure, it just kinda ends in a meh.

I'll give 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...