Thursday, October 20, 2022

The Mothman Prophecies - 2002

 I was on the phone last night and got the urge to watch this, sort of out of nowhere.  So, I put it on.

I remember this one coming out, in the dismal glut of horror which was the early 2000s.  The Mothman Prophecies looked like a shit show, I think I vaguely remember joking about it with friends, as well as I think I remember and it's quite likely I saw this some time around then, out of curiousity...  I am pretty sure I thought it was dumb and boring, which is also what I thought of it now.

Based on a "true life story" of people who saw some sort of bird-like creature which then got misconstrued to be a Mothman that predicted danger, this is the story of a small town in West Virginia where people begin to be tormented by this Mothman dude.  

Richard Gere stars as a reporter brought there by a mysterious force, two years after the death of his wife, who might have been caused to get in a car crash because of the mothman.  He hits it off with hot police lady Laura Linney as we gets involved in some locals who are seeing the mothman, and it's all trying to be creepy, sometimes succeeding sure, and taking it's sweet time to have anything happen.

There's actually very little to say about this film, because it's overall very middling.  It's too long, and the pace is very slow, but I guess it was going to thriller/mystery/suspense versus straight horror, so that is likely the reason.  With Dicky "Gere's of War" they were probably going for more of the "legit film thing" than some weekend horror flick.  

I supposed some of the jump scares work, and the overall atmosphere succeeds sometimes, but mostly it's just another movie you watch spaced out across two days in your average life.  1 star.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...