Monday, October 24, 2022

Escape from New York - 1981

 I put this on for my girl, who fell asleep about 20 minutes in.  I stuck with it, it had been a few years, and I have to say, what a strange one huh?!

This is a true cult movie, one that has stood the test of time and remains a true enigma as well as a true classic in the realm of films.  Escape from New York, like a lot of Carpenter films, was not a movie I gre up with by any means.  If memory serves me right, I had probably only seen the original Halloween, maybe like Vampires and one other or so by the time I was in my late teens.  It just wasn't in my line of sight for some reason.

Whatever the reasoning may be, the movie Escape from New York is something else.  One thing, my girl as I may have mentioned does not like horror movies, and as I started this, I told her don't worry, it's not horror.  It's not.  But as I kept watching, I started to grapple with the question, what genre is this movie?  The easy and quick answer is action - but is it?  There's action sequences yes, but it's not that actiony.  It is the genre that used to exist and doesn't now, adventure, but even then, it's very minimal in that way as well. 

Escape from New York is essentially a thriller, in many ways.  Again, it's genreless...  But it's about Snake Plisken getting sent to the current anarchy prison state that is New York City, where he is to rescue president Donald Pleasense, who's hamming it up big time as a highly disturbed British United States president.  Love it.

Along the way, Snake fights with some locals, meets locals like Cabbie, Brain, The Duke, and he encounters other obstacles.  Snake is played by an incredibly hot and alluring Kurt Russell, who is a bad guy with a good heart in Snake Plisken.  

The movie is nearly flawless, and I've seen it many times.  There's a lot of cool things about it, but I'm not going to go on and on and on here.  If you're a film guy, you know, so there' not a lot left to say.  I'm just going to voice in and say I agree, it's five stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...