Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Friday the 13th - 1980

 I put this on for my girlfriend who adamantly always says when I ask what she wants to watch "Not horror".  Hey, she's dating me?  She's gonna get horror.

Friday the 13th is the original slasher movie that was made after the rocketing success of Halloween, taking the slasher concept to the woods and to the lakeside home of Jason.  Except, as we all know, it's not Jason.  What is it?  Well, it is a slasher and a veritable whodunnit which has lotsa kills, blood and nudity, and amps the Halloween idea up a notch.

Friday the 13th is quite different from Halloween, and anyone who writes this off as an imitation slasher is not giving it enough credit.  The film has a bunch of camp counselors staying at Camp Crystal Lake, getting knocked off one by one as they play around, fuck around, and engage in "being scared".

Everyone has seen this, and if it wasn't for my dwindling review status here I wouldn't write a review for it.  This is an original 80's slash-o-matic with body count, knives, creative kills, and mixed possible suspects.  It was funny, my girlfriend who had not seen it at one point randomly said she thought the killer was Steve Christy, the romance character for Adrienne King's character Alice.

It's hilarious in a way because I know this sort of plays like a whodunnit and I did explain it that way - that could be seen as a holdover from the 70's filmmaking character-driven pieces such as Halloween, explicitely.  But even then, I have seen the movie so many times it never even occurred to me to actually start suspecting people anymore.  We know, definitely, the killer, and we never even think about the other characters doing the killings.

It's a classic film, ya dig, and I would say it's a must for all fans of 80's slashers and horror films.


Side note:  my GF absolutely freaked out at the ending.  Man was that fun. The canoe jump scare?  Fuck yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fallen - 1998

 I'm really enjoying this weird run of unknown late 90s thrillers that were either similar to Se7en, and honestly even the Hellraiser mo...